The Healthy, Happy Ebook

Search This Blog


Welcome!!!

Thanks for stopping by! I'm young, I'm in love with my man, and I'm a mommy. We're busy, but happy. I'll share with you how to eat natural, healthy, whole foods while balancing family life! Learn to love your food, it will love you back!
Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Orzo Pasta Salad




If you love a good pot luck like I do, you'll also understand sometimes it's not easy to eat naturally and healthy at a fun potluck get together! There typically (if your's are like ours) are tons of desserts, creamy salads, meats, etc. To me almost a stable side is pasta salad! I love pasta, but many times the pasta salads I've made or eaten at pot lucks are full of oils, and ranch sauces! Well I found this pasta salad recipe at whole food mommies, it has little oil and is full of veggies! I love larger noodles, but I really wanted to use a bag or orzo pasta I had recently gotten. I tweaked this recipe a little for our tastes and I think it turned out really great. The vegetables give it natural flavor and I love the sun dried tomatoes in it! If you want a lightened up pot luck/BBQ side this summer this one is for you! You can view the original recipe here


Orzo Pasta Salad
1 lb whole wheat orzo pasta
1 red bell pepper
3 broccoli crowns, chopped
1 c black olives, cut into pieces
1 cucumber
1 c sun dried tomatoes
cilantro to taste
4 T olive oil
4 T white vinegar
4 T red wine vinegar
1/4 c pasta water
2 packets Italian dressing seasoning

Cook pasta according to directions. Drain, reserving 1/4 c pasta water. Combine cooled pasta with vegetables in large bowl. Mix together, oil, vinegars, water, and Italian seasoning packets, stir until well combined. Pour over pasta and vegetables until well coated. Put in fridge and chill about an hour. Enjoy. You can top with parmesean cheese if you'd like!





No comments:

Post a Comment