The Healthy, Happy Ebook

Search This Blog


Welcome!!!

Thanks for stopping by! I'm young, I'm in love with my man, and I'm a mommy. We're busy, but happy. I'll share with you how to eat natural, healthy, whole foods while balancing family life! Learn to love your food, it will love you back!
Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Creamy Asparagus Casserole




O my...I've always loved casseroles, some people don't really care for casseroles, but I love all the different flavs in one bite! The only little problem is I can't think of a casserole I've made where it isn't topped with cheese and full of canned creamed soups! Not very low fat. Also there always had to be some type of meat in my casseroles...no way could I have just a pure vegetable casserole right? WRONG! I invented this little mix of veggies for our Alphabet day, letter A. We LOVE, LOVE asparagus in this house, but it is one of the pricier veggies so we don't always have it available. Even with this casserole I wanted to use the whole bunch, but I couldn't do it since I want to have it for another meal later this week! My kids enjoyed this dinner, Derek did, although he wanted more spice....he told me tonight I skimp on spices....what's he saying that I have bland taste! Yeah right I thought the flavors were great, but if you think it needs more double up on some spices! I did want to add that I'm very used to cashew sauces now, I've been eating this way long enough that I don't feel the need for cheese, the nutritional yeast takes care of that craving for me, however for someone who may just be starting out using alternative sauces you may want to add a little cheese if your going for a cheesy casserole taste, try not to add a lot though! Baby steps are the key to changing your lifestyle. 
     This is another one of those wide open recipes, really you could add a number of vegetables that would fit well in this I'll give some suggestions at the bottom. I used some that I know my family loves! 


Creamy Asparagus Casserole
4 potatoes, scalloped
2 crowns of broccoli, chopped
1 c frozen corn
1/2-1 full bunch of asparagus, chopped into thirds
1 small onion
1 packet Italian Dressing Seasoning

Cream Sauce
3/4 C cashews
2 garlic cloves
1/4-1/3 c almond milk
1 T Mrs. Dash
Pepper to taste
1 tsp onion powder
3-4 T nutritional yeast

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Chop your vegetables and place them in a casserole dish or baking pan

meanwhile, place all ingredients for cream sauce into blender or food processor. Blend on high for 2 minutes or until completely smooth

Pour Cream sauce over vegetables and fold it in until all the vegetables are covered with sauce. Sprinkle Italian Dressing Packet over the top of the casserole and cover with foil. 

Bake at 375 for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and stir up vegetables and seasonings. Cover and place back in oven and bake for another 12-15 minutes until the potatoes are soft and tender! Enjoy



Optional Vegetables
sweet potatoes
butternut squash
zucchini/yellow squash
mushrooms
Bell peppers
carrots
sauteed spinach
green beans
peas
Whatever your craving, add it in I'm pretty sure it'll go great together!



No comments:

Post a Comment