The Healthy, Happy Ebook

Search This Blog


Welcome!!!

Thanks for stopping by! I'm young, I'm in love with my man, and I'm a mommy. We're busy, but happy. I'll share with you how to eat natural, healthy, whole foods while balancing family life! Learn to love your food, it will love you back!
Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Berry Pie with Graham Cracker Crust










I have always loved berry pies! For my birthday I don't want birthday cake or ice cream it's always been berry pies, like strawberry rhubarb or razzleberry, you name it I love it! I saw this recipe for an ice box berry pie while I was flipping through a magazine. The magazine was a low fat cooking magazine, but this crust still used quite a bit of butter with the graham crackers...so I wanted to make the crust better, but not use so much butter! I am really happy with how it turned out, it has a nutty taste to with the graham cracker crust, and of course the filling is just what I like, tart, sweet and full of all the berry pie goodness I love! This takes some time and attention, but it was worth it!

Graham Cracker Crust
1/2 c raw cashews
8 full graham crackers
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 c almond or cashew butter
6 T agave nectar
1/2 tsp almond extract

Filling (use fresh berries, not frozen)
2 c raspberries
2 c blackberries
2 c blueberries
1/3 cup raw cane sugar
3 T cornstarch
1/8 tsp salt
1 T fresh lemon juice
2 T fruit jelly (I used strawberry, but I think any type would work)


For the crust preheat oven to 325. Add graham crackers and cashews to food processor or blender. Process for about 30 seconds until both are fine like a flour. Put mixture into medium bowl and add salt and baking powder. Combine agave nectar, nut butter, and almond extract in microwavable bowl. Melt in microwave for about 15-20 seconds and combine with graham cracker mixture. Press crust into bottom of pie dish, poke holes with fork all over, bake for 10-12 minutes. Set aside and cool completely, about 30 minutes, (p.s. I'm the most impatient person, so I ended up putting it in the freezer for about 5-10 minutes to speed things up :)
For the filling toss berries together into small bowl, take 2 1/2 cups of berries and add it to the blender. Blend until berries are a puree about 1 minute. You should end up with a little over a cup, if you have more that's okay it just means more filling right! Whisk sugar, cornstarch, and salt together, then whisk into the berry puree. Heat puree on the stove top to a boil, stirring constantly, and cook until it is thick like a pudding, (get those muscles working) about 5-7 minutes. Off the heat add lemon juice and set aside until just warm. Pour berry puree onto cooled pie crust. Melt jelly in a small bowl in the microwave about 20-30 sec. and pour over remaining whole berries, gently toss to coat. Spread berries evenly over crust and puree! Cover loosely and let chill in the fridge for about 3 hours until filling has set up! 

*For a gluten free option, use gluten free graham crackers





*Here is a little update, or confession of love:)...this pie has now been eaten all gone (mostly by me) I just wanted to add this is my new birthday pie!!! I love it, I told my husband he needs to learn the recipe because come birthday time this is it!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment