The Healthy, Happy Ebook

Search This Blog


Welcome!!!

Thanks for stopping by! I'm young, I'm in love with my man, and I'm a mommy. We're busy, but happy. I'll share with you how to eat natural, healthy, whole foods while balancing family life! Learn to love your food, it will love you back!
Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Creamy Chicken & Wild rice Soup



Well the kids are sick! Blah....but out pops mom who has a need to nurture! What's the classic I'm sick soup...chicken noodle right! Well we're on a pasta overload I feel like lately in this house so I decided to use rice in this comforting soup, it turned out really great, a perfect sick soup in my opinion, full of veggies and nutrients and low fat! Most creamy rice soups that I've made in the past are full of canned soup, or cream cheese, well that would kind of defeat my purpose here, so I used a cashew sauce to thicken it up and make it creamy and it worked like a dream! If you love broccoli flavor like I do then I would for sure leave the broccoli in, but if you don't you might want to omit that veggie, it did give off it's flavor pretty strong. This has a vegetarian/vegan option by just taking out the chicken, and it is gluten free as long as you use cornstarch in the cashew sauce...so this is one for everyone!


Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

2 c cooked diced chicken-seasoned to taste
2 c wild rice cooked
2 celery stalks chopped
1 c chopped carrots
1 c frozen corn
2 c broccoli (optional, I think mushrooms might fit in nice in it's place)
1 can vegetable broth

Cream Sauce
2 cloves garlic
3/4 c raw cashews
1 tsp onion powder
2 T nutritional yeast (optional)
1 T cornstarch/flour
3/4 c non-dairy milk
1 tsp Italian Seasoning
1 c extra water (put this in after blending)

Cook rice until tender. Cook and season chicken until cooked through. Add all soup ingredients into pot cover and simmer on med heat. Meanwhile, add all cream sauce ingredients except extra cup of water to blender and blend on high for 1-2 minutes until mixed and smooth. Add cream sauce to pot and extra cup of water. Cook over medium for 10- 15 minutes. Enjoy



No comments:

Post a Comment