The Healthy, Happy Ebook

Search This Blog


Welcome!!!

Thanks for stopping by! I'm young, I'm in love with my man, and I'm a mommy. We're busy, but happy. I'll share with you how to eat natural, healthy, whole foods while balancing family life! Learn to love your food, it will love you back!
Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Italian Pesto Spinach Pasta





Alrighty....today was craving day for me! I was sitting there at work thinking of what could I make for our Alphabet day for "I" I knew I wanted to make something for dinner since I had made snacks yesterday and we still had muffins left over, all of a sudden I thought of a sauce made from spinach for pasta! I went over a few different ideas, some involved a creamy cashew spinach sauce, eh... I decided that didn't sound right, another idea was a marinara sauce...eh...not until I thought, Pesto! did I finally stick with it. Well, so I had no idea how I was going to make it, I just knew I wanted it to have spinach...I really have been loving spinach lately...so bring on some more. So I just went through my pantry and cupboards while the kids were napping. I made this pretty early in the day since I went out with the girl's tonight whoot whoot! So I wanted my kids to eat before I left, although I didn't have hopes that my husband would like it....he's kind of picky about pasta.

So I rounded up, crushed tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, garlic, basil, Italian seasoning, onion powder, and of course spinach! I felt pretty good about my choices, so I blended them all together, the sauce came out looking a sickly green color, I was starting to lose hope. So I sadly poured it over my pasta and....pasta bliss....
      I was so happy with the outcome (especially because it wouldn't end up in the trash), it tasted like a pesto I had made from a packet one time, but this was full of healthy happiness!

Okay, mom likes it so I checked that off...now the kids!

My son just gobbled it up no questions asked....

.........his sister....she balled and balled that she didn't like it before she even had a bite, just because it was really green. Well our rule is, you try everything so I explained she needed to try it and I bet she would like it! So finally glaring at me the whole time, she sticks her little fork in her mouth with her pasta...I head to the other room, satisfied knowing once again that mom rules...when I hear her say to Derek, "Dad, I love green noodles, I'm so big, I'm going to eat it all gone!" And she did!
 Now the tricky one. I told Derek I made it so he could have something besides left overs at work tonight, so I told him to try it and if he wanted it he could take it. Well I leave it at that, next thing I see is him loading up a Tupperware with my green creation! So I asked if he liked it and he said, "yeah, it's good" Whatever, I'll take it! So there you have it. This "I" day pesto passed through our family! We really enjoyed it! Now shake things up if you'd like and get yours to pass through your family

Italian Pesto Spinach Pasta

2 large handfuls of fresh spinach
3 garlic cloves
1/3 can crushed tomatoes (28 oz can)
2 T basil
1/4 c sun dried tomatoes
1/4 C Italian seasoning
2 T parsley
1 tsp onion powder
1/8 c water (if needed)
1 lb whole wheat pasta or grain of your choice

Cook pasta according to directions on box. Combine remaining ingredients to food processor or blender and blend until smooth and saucy. Drain pasta and return to pan. Pour sauce over pasta and blend well! Serve warm with green veggies for a side!!! Yum



*If you haven't already, like me on facebook I ask for requests and post different thing on there! Search naturally healthy and happy

No comments:

Post a Comment