The Healthy, Happy Ebook

Search This Blog


Welcome!!!

Thanks for stopping by! I'm young, I'm in love with my man, and I'm a mommy. We're busy, but happy. I'll share with you how to eat natural, healthy, whole foods while balancing family life! Learn to love your food, it will love you back!
Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Red Pepper Linguini



Isn't pasta just a srumptious, cozy comfort food! I love spooning the noodles and all the flavors that one bowl can hold! I always loved creamy, buttery Alfredo sauces before changing our eating habits! I was so discouraged when I thought I would never again enjoy a creamy, satisfying sauce over noodles! Since then I have been proven wrong on numerous occasions and thankfully I've been proven wrong once again! 

Although I am a HUGE pasta lover I do try and limit the amount we have simply for carbohydrates. When we do have pasta though I take advantage of the golden opportunity I have sitting before me to add amazing ingredients to my dish to make it whole and healthy! If you are new to natural eating, sauces are a great way to throw in some extra veggies or healthy fats! They blend together beautifully and make you wanting leftovers the next day and the next day!

We are still continuing our alphabet journey and today just happens to be the letter "R"! I thought of this pasta to make up for the meal, but tonight I'm also whipping up some delicious raspberry chocolate drops, post to be continued! So after brainstorming how I wanted to make my sauce I decided to add some flavorful red peppers to qualify for "R" day! This was an amazing addition if I do say so myself. The pesto sauce was beautiful and had a kick to it, the peppers simply made it more pronounced, while adding some color! 

My kids LOVED this pasta, my son had thirds! I wasn't sure how it would all come together with the avocado, but it was great. A tip from seeing the leftovers, maybe just make enough for one night. The reheated leftovers weren't bad tasting, my son again just loved them, but the avocado flavor starts to come out more and more. I think the longer it stays in the fridge, the less likely it will become a good tasting leftover! Just my opinion. 

Enjoy~

Red Pepper Linguini 

1 lb whole wheat linguini
1 red bell pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes
2 pitted avocado
3 C fresh spinach
4 garlic cloves
2 T lemon juice
1/3 C crushed tomatoes or sun dried tomatoes
2 T basil
2  Italian Seasoning
1/4 C water

 Cook Linguini according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
Chop red pepper into small chunks and set in a bowl off to the side. 

Combine remaining ingredients to blender or food processor. Blend until completely smooth. About 2 minutes. 
There are two ways to do this. You can serve the sauce right then with the warm pasta or you can bake it. If you want to for-go the baking, add the chopped bell pepper to your blender along with the other ingredients.
If you choose to bake it (this is what we did) Combine linguini, sauce and chopped red pepper to casserole dish
Make sure you coat the pasta well. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cover and bake pasta for about 18-20 minutes! 
Serve warm with salad!



No comments:

Post a Comment