The Healthy, Happy Ebook

Search This Blog


Welcome!!!

Thanks for stopping by! I'm young, I'm in love with my man, and I'm a mommy. We're busy, but happy. I'll share with you how to eat natural, healthy, whole foods while balancing family life! Learn to love your food, it will love you back!
Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Lentil Taco Pie



I really don't like the days when I look at the clock and I see it's five o' clock and I haven't even given our dinner any thought. I dislike it even worse when I look around and can't think of anything to make for a long time all the while slowly the kids are starting to complain, they are starting to beg for food, they are starting to grab my legs, and then the crying starts. Okay that is when stress levels get heightened! Well, without optimism, I'll look one more time in the very back of the cupboard and what do I see? My hidden jar of lentils, here to save the day!

I absolutely adore lentils! They are so versatile and very nutritious. Lentils are packed with protein, B vitamins, they aid in heart health, they have great fiber and regulate blood sugars and they can replenish our iron stores, so for those who don't eat a lot of red meats (me, me, me) they are wonderful!

I decided to whip up a taco pie since I found some corn tortillas, red peppers, spinach and frozen corn. I was a little worried since I didn't have taco seasoning, but I played around with other spices and I think it actually packed a little bit too much heat for my liking :) I thought of the idea since I've made lentil burritos, so it's not that different in my mind! Probably not my husband, he's a heat fanatic. My kids gobbled this meal right up...the best part...it's vegan, and gluten free and gives them a nice punch of protein! Score for mom or lentils...

Lentil Taco Pie

1 C lentils
2 C water
2 C brown or wild rice
1 red bell pepper
1 1/2 C frozen corn
1/4 C nutritional yeast
1/2 T cumin
1/2 T chili powder
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 C jar salsa (optional, I didn't use it)
4 corn tortillas

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat lentils and water in sauce pan and cook until tender and water is absorbed. Meanwhile add rice and another 2 cups of water to skillet, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add vegetables, spices, and lentils to skillet and simmer another 5-10 minutes, until water is mostly absorbed and rice is tender. Place two tortillas on the bottom of baking dish and spread a layer of taco filling over. Add another layer of tortillas and top it with remaining taco filling. Cover and bake for 15-20 minutes, until blended together. Top with lettuce, tomato, avocado and salsa! Enjoy


No comments:

Post a Comment