The Healthy, Happy Ebook

Search This Blog


Welcome!!!

Thanks for stopping by! I'm young, I'm in love with my man, and I'm a mommy. We're busy, but happy. I'll share with you how to eat natural, healthy, whole foods while balancing family life! Learn to love your food, it will love you back!
Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Vegan Mac and Cheese!!!

I found this recipe here and really enjoyed it. It was my first attempt at a vegan mac and cheese. I love pasta so if I could find a better, healthier pasta but still be satisfied with a yummy taste I would be happy so I tried this. It's a simple weeknight dinner that my kids also enjoy.

Vegan Mac and Cheese

1 lb whole grain pasta
3 C broccoli
1/4 C margarine (earth balance vegan spread, whipped)
1/3 C flour (I used spelt)
3 C soy milk
1/2 C Nutritional Yeast
2 T tomato paste
2 T sea salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 T lemon juice
1 T agave

Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions. Add broccoli for the last 5 minutes of boiling and let cook until broccoli is fork tender. Drain and return to pot. Meanwhile in a medium saucepan, make a roux or paste by whisking the margarine and flour over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Add nondairy milk, yeast, tomato paste, salt, and garlic powder to the saucepan and bring to a boil whisking frequently. Reduce heat to low and let simmer until the sauce thickens. Adjust seasoning to taste and stir in lemon juice and agave. Toss the noodles and broccoli with the sauce and serve. 


    No comments:

    Post a Comment