The Healthy, Happy Ebook

Search This Blog


Welcome!!!

Thanks for stopping by! I'm young, I'm in love with my man, and I'm a mommy. We're busy, but happy. I'll share with you how to eat natural, healthy, whole foods while balancing family life! Learn to love your food, it will love you back!
Powered by Blogger.

Friday, May 18, 2012

Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese

Well I can say this far in our eating, this is my favorite mac and cheese recipe!!!! Everyone in my family loved it, my husband kept saying "oh my gosh this is good" that's saying a lot since whenever I make my vegan mac and cheese he always adds some shredded dairy cheese on top...it kind of defies the purpose don't you think :) But no added cheese on this one. It was a hit and it has a hidden vegetable in it! I tweaked the original recipe a tiny bit to our taste but you can find the original recipe here either way it's tasty!!!


Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese

1/2 Butternut Squash, peeled and chopped
3/4 C cashews
1 C non-dairy milk ( I used almond milk)
3 garlic cloves
1 T lemon juice
2 tsp salt or to taste
6-7 T nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp dried italian seasoning
pepper to taste
1/4-1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp nutmeg
your choice of pasta 

Preheat Oven to 350 degrees, chop and season squash as desired add 2 T olive oil to baking sheet add squash and coat with oil. Roast squash for 40 minutes flipping once halfway through, I roasted my squash before hand, it made it a faster meal prep. Combine your cheese sauce ingredients (cashews, non-dairy milk, garlic, lemon, salt, nutritional yeast, pepper, mustard seasonings besides nutmeg) place in blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and not grainy. Add roasted squash, blend until smooth. If the sauce is too thick add some more milk. Cook pasta according to package, rinse and drain pasta, combine sauce and pasta into a casserole dish top with nutmeg and sprinkle with paprika. Bake pasta at 350 for 20-25 minutes. You can always add peas or broccoli for some more veggies or just enjoy as it is. Delish!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment