The Healthy, Happy Ebook

Search This Blog


Welcome!!!

Thanks for stopping by! I'm young, I'm in love with my man, and I'm a mommy. We're busy, but happy. I'll share with you how to eat natural, healthy, whole foods while balancing family life! Learn to love your food, it will love you back!
Powered by Blogger.

Friday, April 13, 2012

Zesty Shepard's pie


This is always a favorite comfort food. It's certainly not your typical Shepard's pie, it's vegetarian and gluten free and totally flavorful!!! I love it and my kids actually eat it and come on who doesn't like a good dose of mashed potatoes. I did a lot of personal tweaking to this recipe since the original one here is full of spice and yes I'll admit it I really can't handle spicy food that much...I don't understand why it's enjoyable to burn your tongue off and call it an enjoyable meal, but for all you spice fans you may want to give the spicy recipe a try. I toned it down a notch, but I still love the flavor. Have fun with this one, experiment with other veggies, it always turns out tasty!

Zesty Shepard's Pie

4-5 medium potatoes
1 zucchini squash
1 yellow squash
3 garlic cloves
1/2 or whole onion depending on taste
2 cups broccoli florets
2 cup shredded carrots
1 cup peas (optional)
1/2 cup green bell pepper (optional)
1 T +1 T cumin
1/2 T red pepper flakes
1 C vegetable broth
1 T olive oil
1 can diced tomatoes (I used half a 28 oz can of crushed)
1 T + 1/2 T Mrs. Dash
1 tsp pepper or to taste
Salt to taste

Peel and chop potatoes. Place in pot with water and boil until fork tender. Meanwhile chop, and arrange vegetables together except garlic and onion. Heat oil in pan with garlic and onion, 1 T cumin, pepper, salt, 1 T Mrs. Dash, and red pepper flakes about 3 minutes. Add remaining vegetables, vegetable broth, tomatoes, and remaining seasonings. Saute and simmer until tender. When potatoes are soft drain and add desired seasonings and non-dairy milk and whip potatoes.  Place vegetable mixture into a casserole dish and top with potatoes. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment