The Healthy, Happy Ebook

Search This Blog


Welcome!!!

Thanks for stopping by! I'm young, I'm in love with my man, and I'm a mommy. We're busy, but happy. I'll share with you how to eat natural, healthy, whole foods while balancing family life! Learn to love your food, it will love you back!
Powered by Blogger.

Friday, April 13, 2012

Creamy Veggie Soup & Garlic Cheddar Biscuits



I wanted to find a recipe that I could make that would just stuff us with wonderful veggies and great ingredients without even realizing. I love soup so much so I thought I'd give this one a try. I also wanted to try out using cashews as a creamer, I have to tell you after making this soup I have become hooked on cashew cream sauces! This is an adaption from wholefoodmommies.com cream of broccoli soup.

This is so simple, you just soften all your veggies and let them simmer

Then get to work making your cashew cream sauce to thicken it all up

After you add the cream sauce, slowly move the mixture to the blender and start blending it all together

After you have it all blended smoothly, place it back on the stove to make sure it's all heated well, and then there you go a wonderfully, tasty, healthy dinner everyone will love. The great thing about this recipe is you can add any type of veggie you want depending on your own taste! It looks like a lot of work, but it was so EASY!  I made it so much faster than I thought. I started at like 4:20 because I thought It would be at least an hour, I was done at like 4:50, early dinner :)


Creamy Veggie Soup
3 potatoes
2 celery stalks
4 c broccoli florets
1/2 green bell pepper
3/4 small bag of mixed veggies
1/2 onion
3 cloves garlic
2 c water
cashew cream sauce
1/2 T dried basil
1/4 tsp pepper

Place potatoes, celery, broccoli, onion, pepper, veggies and water in pot. Bring to simmer, cover and cook on med for 10 min or until potatoes are tender. Meanwhile make cream sauce. Mix cream sauce with vegetables (don't forget to add the extra water from the cream sauce) Add basil and pepper. Transfer 3 cups at a time to blender. Blend until smooth. Add entire contents back to pot and heat slightly. 

Cashew Cream Sauce
1 c cashew nuts
2 c water
1 tsp salt
2 tsp onion powder
1-2 T vegetable broth
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 T corn starch
1 1/2 c water ( to be added after blended)
Blend all ingredients together until smooth, approx 2 min.


Garlic Cheddar Biscuits (adapted from "What's for Dinner")
2 c whole grain flour (I used spelt)
2 tsp coconut sugar
1 T baking powder
2 cloves garlic minced 
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1/2 cup grated cheese
3/4 cup soy milk (or any non-dairy milk)
1/3 cup butter, melted (I used Earth Balance vegan spread, whipped)
In a mixing bowl combine dry ingredients and garlic. Add butter and mix on low until crumbly. In a separate bowl, beat egg and milk. Stir into dry ingredients until moistened. Stir in cheese. Drop by spoonfuls on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment