The Healthy, Happy Ebook

Search This Blog


Welcome!!!

Thanks for stopping by! I'm young, I'm in love with my man, and I'm a mommy. We're busy, but happy. I'll share with you how to eat natural, healthy, whole foods while balancing family life! Learn to love your food, it will love you back!
Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Red Lentil Chowder


This is comfort soup at it's best! I only really discovered the use of lentils a few months ago. I love them! They can be used in mexican food, soups, salads...it's great. I really felt like making some yummy, thick soup on these chilly spring days...so I gathered some things here and there to whip up this chowder. This doesn't have to be blended together you can pulse the soup together so it's a little chunkier, or you don't even need to blend it at all and leave it more full lentils and vegetables! I felt like making a thick mess of soup and naming it chowder...and that's just what I ended up with :) perfect for dipping some yummy bread or rolls into! So curl up and enjoy some yummy, healthy, comfort in this lentilly goodness!


Red Lentil Chowder
2 c red lentils
1 c shredded carrots, or chopped carrots
5 small potatoes cubed
1 c frozen corn
2 tomatoes diced, or 1 can diced tomatoes
2 c vegetable broth
3 c water
1 T pepper
1/2 T onion powder
1/2 T garlic powder
2 bay leaves
1/2 T Italian seasoning

Combine broth, water,lentils, vegetables and bay leaves in large pot. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add remaining spices. Cook over medium heat until lentils and potatoes are tender. At this point decide if you want to blend it or not :)

* If you decide to blend the soup at this point put it three cups at a time into blender and pulse, if you want it blended but chunkier, ease up and only pulse it a few times until the entire soup has been pulsed. Put back into pot and make sure it is still warm. 

* If you don't blend the soup simmer for 10 more minutes until desired tenderness and thickness is achieved. Serve with rolls and salad! 

No comments:

Post a Comment